e-Learning (Online learning, Blended learning)
What is e-Learning?
e-Learning is the delivery of a learning, training or education program by electronic means. e-Learning involves the use of a computer or electronic device (e.g. a mobile phone) in some way to provide training, educational or learning material.
e-Learning can involve a greater variety of equipment than online training or education, for as the name implies, "online" involves using the Internet or an Intranet. CD-ROM and DVD can be used to provide learning materials.
e-Learning is pragmatic approach to learning in today’s tech-savvy age, as it overcomes timing, attendance and travel difficulties.
Lets understand what factors make e-Learning significant?
- e-Learning is the convergence of internet and learning or internet enabled learning in today’s age of technology, broadening the scope of education all over the world.
- The use of network technologies to create, foster, deliver, and facilitate learning, anytime and anywhere.
- The delivery of individualized, comprehensive, dynamic learning content in real time, aiding the development of communities of knowledge, linking learners and practitioners with experts.
- A phenomenon, delivering accountability, accessibility, and opportunity to allow people and organizations to keep up with the rapid changes that define the Internet world.
- A force that gives people and organizations the competitive edge to allow them to keep ahead of the rapidly changing global economy
How will Technology shape the future of Learning?
- Cost efficiency & Flexibility
If you are hard ridden for time, because you are working, managing household, too old to attend the course physically or pursuing formal means of education, then online education is meant for you as it is very flexible in regards to time lines and there is no energy drain or excess time or money loss on transport or food expenses.
- Shifting Trends in Education
e-Learning makes learning exciting, engaging and compelling.Hard and boring subjects can be made easier, interesting and appealing with e-Learning. e-Learning is extremely convenient as it easily approaches you and you do not need to shift or locate in order to be part of e-Learning. e-Learning makes learning an active experience and it is an interactive platform, which makes the students adapt to the method of "learning by doing.”
- Learning gives an individual an opportunity to have an individualized and personalized experience by making use of various resources and therefore-learning in different ways-reading, watching, exploring, researching, interacting, communicating.
- Organizations Adopt Seamless Online Trainings
Many organizations now encourage online courses, in order to upgrade the employee’s domain knowledge. As they cannot afford to lose out on the employees working hours, online education works as the best substitute as it does not curb on the office hours and anyone from anywhere around the world can take the courses as per their leisure time.
- e-Learning has helped organizations with their bottom line. Many organizations have reported improved time to competency and faster time to market, and a reduction in learning times has meant savings on salaries and opportunity costs,and increased customer and staff satisfaction has led to higher customer and staff retention rates.For organizations, e-Learning systems are playing a major part in helping keeping them agile and competitive in their market.
- Easy to Use
Virtual Education is offered in a very structured and organized format as documents, transcripts, live discussions and training materials are all archived and recorded so that they can be retrieved via post, e-mail, downloading, and printing. Instructors,Mentors and online guidebooks are available as part of online studies.
Blended Learning is a combination of traditional face-to-face classroom methods with more modern computer-mediated activities. This Learning creates a more integrated approach for both instructors and learners.
In Blended Learning technology is very important, it is a combination of face-to-face facilitation with computer-mediated instruction.
e-Learning is a part of blended learning and in this learning approach learners and professors work together to improve the quality of learning and teaching.
The main outlook of blended learning is to provide realistic practical opportunities for learners and teachers and make e-Learning beneficial, sustainable and progressive.
The picture of e-learning is only getting bigger and better because of the growing advancements in technology. Various technological supports for creating content, enhancing the online classroom experience by adding interactivity and conversations have been created, developing the sphere of online learning. Various organizations have been putting in consistent efforts to design and back online education with range of software supports.